Field Study #5
Field Study #5
Date: November 10, 2022
Time: 11:40
Length of day: 10 hours, 31 minutes
Temperature: 55 Degrees Fahrenheit, 64 percent humidity
Weather: Cloudy
Notes
The top photo is the same location as the other previous photos, you can clearly see the difference, primarily in the brush and the trees, notice how the brush is less dense and the trees have less foliage. I was finally able to crawl my way through the brush and reeds to get to the creek and the first thing I spotted was a crayfish mound. The crayfish use these mounds or 'chimneys' as a safe place to hide from predators and to lay their eggs. They scoop up sediments like sand, mud, and dirt and pat it all down with their tail. In the picture below that, you can see a water pipe draining into the creek. When I was younger, this drainage pipe is where I spent most of my time. I would spend hours wading through the creek flipping up rocks and logs to find frogs, crayfish, fish and the occasional turtle. Lastly, just to show how overgrown the creek is, I took a picture off of one of its banks, you cannot even see the actual creek because of how overgrown it is.




Great pics. You have a day length issue. I love this description of when you were little! Awesome crayfish mound!
ReplyDelete